Here’s how to fix the 80070005 error on Windows 7
While installing system updates on windows, you may get a few errors once in a while, one of those errors is the error 0x80070005 which is very common on Windows 7.
This error is encountered because the user does not have the file or registry permissions required to install that particular update.
Procedure To Fix The Windows Error 0x80070005
1. Important: Scan for and remove viruses from your computer. It is very common for viruses to change registry permissions, so removing viruses should be your very first action. Make sure your anti-virus program is updated before you scan.
2. Log into your system as an Administrator.
3. Download the SubInACL Repair Tool.
4. Install the tool in the folder C:\Windows\system32
5. Open Notepad and copy the following code into it.
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %windir% /grant=administrators=f /grant=system=f
6. In notepad, click File > Save As. Note the location where the file is going to be saved (if you wish, you can navigate to another location). Save the file with the name Reset.cmd
7. Close Notepad, then go to location where the file was saved. Right click on the Reset.command file, then choose Run as administrator.
8. Hold on for the code to run. This would take care of the Windows error 0x80070005 and restore required registry permissions to your user account. Now, feel free to install the update again in your now error-free system.
If this works for you or you run into problems, feel free to talk to me about it using the comments section below.