Windows 10 Disable Fast Startup / Full Shutdown
If you have been using Windows 10 for a while, you would probably have noticed that the shutdown feature does not do a full shutdown. Instead, it saves the state of the computer to the hibernation file so that your system boots up quickly next time you startup. Note that this behavior is not the same as hibernation as discussed here:
This is made possible by a feature called Fast startup which is turned on by default. Turning it off would do a full shutdown when you shutdown tour PC. I really don’t see a reason why you would want to turn it off though because there are a couple other ways to quickly do a full shutdown whenever you want to. I will show you how in a moment.
How To Turn Off Fast Startup / Fast Boot on Windows 10
Like I said, the fast startup feature prevents your computer from doing a complete shutdown when you shutdown your PC. It truly closes all open programs and signs out all users, but it saves redundant processes to a hibernation file. This enables your computer boot at twice its startup speed. To turn this feature off, follow the procedure below.
- Open the Control Panel.
- Choose Hardware & Sound
- Select Power Options
- Select “Choose what the power buttons do”, which you will find on the menu on the left side.
- On that page, you’ll find a link that says “Change settings that are currently unavailable.” Click on it so that the Shutdown Settings below it become editable.
- Untick the checkbox that says Turn on Fast Startup.
- Save Changes.
That’s it. Now when you shutdown your PC, it will do full shutdown like it would on a Windows 7 PC.
Shortcuts To Do a Full Shutdown on Windows 10
If you prefer to leave the full startup feature turned on (as recommended), there are two ways to quickly force your computer to perform a full shutdown or a cold boot.
- Restart: The fast startup thing does not apply to restarts. So even if you have it turned on. A restart will do a normal shutdown and a cold boot.
- Shift Key: Holding SHIFT and clicking on shutdown will do a complete shutdown. This is quick and easy and doesn’t require turning off fast startup.
I hope this post helped answer tour questions, if not, please leave me a comment and I will respond as soon as I can. Cheers.